Beverly hero Joe Bouthiller
In the early morning hours of July 24, National Grid Gas Technician Joe Bouthiller saved a life.
While most people are asleep at 2:15 a.m., Joe was out responding to a gas leak call. When he arrived on site in Beverly, Joe noticed a water department crew working down the street.
At first things were routine, but then one of the water department workers suddenly came running over to Joe and asked if he knew CPR. One of their workers had passed out and stopped breathing. Fortunately for all, Joe had been certified in CPR as part of the training he had received at National Grid. He responded right away, performing CPR on the collapsed water worker until an ambulance arrived to transport the worker to the hospital. Joe succeeded in restoring the man’s pulse prior to the arrival of the ambulance, effectively saving his life.
The water department employee had heart surgery performed to stabilize him and he is recovering in the hospital.
Joe will be receiving a lifesaving award later this month.